Please login or register. November 22, 2017, 04:20:12 PM

Author Topic: Upgrading EMC ODM definitions  (Read 9917 times)

halley

Upgrading EMC ODM definitions
« on: September 30, 2009, 01:29:36 AM »
Hi everyone,
I have VIOSes running level 1.5.1.1 with the EMC drives driven by ODM defninitions 5.2.0.3 version. I want to bring them to the latest level. Is this a matter of running smitty update_all like in AIX?  :-\
Any experience good/bad i would like to hear thank you.

halley

Michael

• Administrator
Re: Upgrading EMC ODM definitions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:43:11 AM »
I would read the documentation supplied by EMC regarding the updates.

Whether smitty update_all is the way to do it or not cannot tbe said in advance. If the update is sent as a tarball, for example, it may be the only change is to the Pd* ODM files - and then the command odmadd and/or odmchange, or some combinations may be needed. And, after updating the ODM you will need to consider whether you want to remove the Cu* entries and run cfgmgr to rediscover them with new defaults, or seperately run chdev commands to update to new settings.

regarding previous experience - I shall have to ask you to wait for others to reply. I know there are many people working with EMC storage on AIX and VIOS - so someone should be able to help you there.

Do you have a Dual VIOS setup with MPIO in the client partitions? If so, it will be much easier - and safer - to update your VIOS partitions.

halley

Re: Upgrading EMC ODM definitions
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
Hi,
The image for the updates came as installp format so I guess that this answers my question. Because from VIO its possible to oem_setup_env change to AIX command line.

Just that the readme from EMC does not mention VIO specifically. It does have the syntax for installp however.
Yes its a dual VIO setup with Powerpath.
Thanks Michael.