Date: 04-12-20  Time: 23:59 PM

Author Topic: Partition Mobility - from p6 to p7 using remote HMCs  (Read 10505 times)

tonym

Partition Mobility - from p6 to p7 using remote HMCs
« on: May 06, 2010, 05:57:22 PM »
Hello,
I'm not sure how much feedback I'll get on this, as POWER7 systems just recently came out, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience migrating LPARs from P6 to P7 servers, and additionally, between separate HMCs. 

I have (2) P6 systems on an HMC with the latest v7.3.5.0 code, and (3) P7 systems on an HMC with the latest v7.7.1.0 code.  I have a PMR open with IBM currently, as I've talked to support already, and said that this is a supported configuration for LPM. 

However, when I run validation, I get an error essentially saying the source HMC must be upgraded to v7.7.1 code.  Error message seems pretty straight forward, but I am still verifying with IBM support, since they did originally say it was a supported config as-is. 

Just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback in their area.  Otherwise, I'll update this post with my findings/results once its resolved.

Thanks!

Michael

• Administrator
Re: Partition Mobility - from p6 to p7 using remote HMCs
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »
I have not heard about supported configurations regarding two HMC. Only major requirement I have heard of is that the POWER7 partition needs to be POWER6 mode. However, as this concerns LPM (Live Partition Mobility) it is the responsibility of the receiving HMC.

Have you considered adding the POWER6 system to the new HMC (atPOWER7 code level). Each POWER system can be managed by two HMC. When POWER6 first came out, and I had only POWER5 I had one HMC at version 6 and the other at version 7. The managed systems did not care.

tonym

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 03:32:17 AM »
Hmmm, I hadnt thought of putting the p6's under the new HMC, that would most likely do the trick.  Unfortunately I think the private IP range used to communicate to the managed systems is the same for both HMCs, so I'd probably have to change that on one side.

Regarding the PMR,
Support acknowledges that the current config(source HMC @ 7.3.5, destination HMC at 7.7.1) "should" work.  But the error message is quite clear, and there isnt any 'official' documentation that specifically talks about this scenario. 

The good news is, Inactive migrations work perfectly, no issues at all, so this is the method we went with. 

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 08:00:18 PM »
Sounds like you are leading edge (or shoud I say bleeding). Glad the inactive mobility works. At one level it shows that in HMC terms the partition definitions are okay.

Thinking like the developer I once was (back in early 1990's, not for IBM), and all the troubleshooting I did of other people's code - it could be something as simple as the older version having a test for equality, and when not equal say whatever is higher is "better".

In short, keep watching for efixes and/or updates to the 7.3.5 HMC code for better compatibility with HMC 7.7.1 as it seems IBM is going to support those two together. Or, depending on the age of your "old" HMC, consider updating it to version 7.7.1.

I know it does not all that long to do an update. You could consider updating your HMC 7.3.5 to 7.7.1 anyway.

Finally, do not forget that it considered best practice to have a managed system connected to two HMCs.