Please login or register. November 22, 2017, 04:19:44 PM

Author Topic: New HMC corrective service policy  (Read 6983 times)

sbzx

• Operation Daily Magic Error
New HMC corrective service policy
« on: November 19, 2009, 11:35:53 PM »
Hi,

There is a new HMC level (V7R350) available as well as two mandatory fixes: MH01195 and MH01197. Usually all fixes are available both in zip and iso formats; however, this time you'll find this in the fix description:

"NOTE: HMC V7 R3.4.0 (and later) can install corrective service directly from ISO files. The ZIP file format is no longer provided."

Any idea why? Was it too easy for the administrators to update their HMCs via the network?

Thanks

Michael

• Administrator
Re: New HMC corrective service policy
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »
Any idea why?
The real hard question!  ;)

No. I cannot say I know why. But I can guess that it has to do with general changes in how images are being viewed in general. A zip file is not really an install format - and it needed to be unzipped before it could be installed, so it was on the system twice.

What I will need to look at is whether these iso images can be nfs mounted and installed from and/or whether they need to be ftp'd to the HMC first and then mounted - because my guess as to why is that they are mounting the iso image - not requiring administrators to burn an iso image to media and physically update.

But that is just my "best guess"tm  ;D

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 11:46:20 AM »
There is a new HMC level (V7R350) available
There is also new firmware! at EX350 level. I have noticed that firmware and HMC levels are simiar. More specifically, to use the features of the new firmware you must have the new HMC level.

Also note: updating to EX350 firmware for the first time is, by definition, disruptive.

(note the X in EX is one of the three firmware images for entry, middle and enterprise servers).

sbzx

• Operation Daily Magic Error
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:43:41 PM »
Thanks, Michael.

I have seen the new system firmware version, too, I installed it on two systems that's how I ran into the zip vs. iso problem. Btw, both the HMC and the system firmware upgrade went without problems. It's just annoying to see the easy way go away. It's either that they really remove the possibility of a network install of fixes, which is pretty much a shame, or it's that the information they provide with the networked usage of the new format is insufficient. Either way, IBM should do better.

And come on, it just can't be that IBM cannot give us an easy way to install a service fix. Why can't I ftp or scp the file(s) to the HMC? It can't be a double space problem, the fixes fit on a single CD, the HMC has a 146GB drive... And after installation the files can be deleted.