Please login or register. December 15, 2018, 09:02:53 PM

Author Topic: Recovering a classic 7012-320H with AIX 3.1 - missing /etc/mount binary  (Read 68 times)

cmurillo

Greetings, everyone.  This is my first post; I'm a hobbyist and collector of classic computers.

A few years ago I was given an old headless 7012-320H with AIX 3.1.1 that would not complete the boot process and stall with a 553 LED indicator message.  I did not get install media with it, but I did get a couple of 3151 serial terminals, a 7208 8mm tape drive with the required SCSI cable, and an 8-port EIA-232 adapter. Recently I imaged the hard drive and that's how I found out that it has AIX 3.1 .  I found AIX 3.2 BOSboot diskette images on the net and I was able to boot the maintenance shell.  I was also careful not to run the getrootfs script in the maintenance shell as it is well documented that doing this will erase /etc/mount and /etc/umount in the hard drive.  Still, I was able to fsck and mount /dev/hd4 (at /mnt), /dev/hd2 (at /mnt/usr), /dev/hd3 (at /mnt/tmp) and /dev/hd1 (at /mnt/u).  I was able, from the very limited shell, to inspect all of these partitions, modify /etc/security/passwd, and trim /etc/inittab to something pretty basic. Then the system was able to perform a partial boot, the problem being that it failed when trying to mount /dev/hd2, /dev/hd3 and /dev/hd1.  So it booted to a system without /usr.  I was able to confirm that the /etc/mount binary in the 3.2 maintenance shell will not run under 3.1, and no binaries from 3.1 will run under the 3.2 maintenance shell.  Therefore, I have a system in front of me whose only issue seems to be the lack of the V3.1 /etc/mount binary.  Does anyone have ideas about how to get it? Remember that I did not get the 3.1 install media. While I do have 4.3.3 install images, I would like to preserve the system in its original state, as 3.1 is more contemporary for this model.

carlos.

Michael

• Administrator
Re: Recovering a classic 7012-320H with AIX 3.1 - missing /etc/mount binary
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »
I never actually worked on AIX 3.X - but - iirc, it was long traditional that executables in /etc were copies of the applications in /usr/bin (or /bin).

So, if /etc/mount is missing, AND the maint. boot supplies 'cp' you should be able to copy the mount from either /bin or /usr/bin - as one idea.

Welcome to rootvg.net.

Michael

cmurillo

Re: Recovering a classic 7012-320H with AIX 3.1 - missing /etc/mount binary
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 06:09:59 PM »
Thank you, Michael;  I did check all of the other directories/partitions to see if there was a copy, but I found none.

carlos.

cmurillo

I found the solution.  It turns out that /etc/mount and /etc/unmount are actually the same executable;  I searched for the remains of /etc/mount in the raw image of the drive and found it, and to my surprise, it contained strings about errors while mounting or unmounting.  I copied /etc/unmount to /etc/mount and it worked.

carlos.