Please login or register. June 27, 2017, 08:39:48 PM

Author Topic: Old F80 Boot issue  (Read 8228 times)

aixdude71

Old F80 Boot issue
« on: May 19, 2008, 03:25:46 PM »
I have an old F80 I have just about given up on trying to get life to.

It has downlevel firmware so I can't load 5.2 or 5.3... Here is what I have done so far:

1) Tried to load 5.3. Hosed up the system, had to pull battery to even get back to SMS.

2) Tried to load 5.2. It recognized the kernel on the CD, but then dies on IPL.

3) CD-Rom died, replaced it.

4) Tried to uplevel firmware via diskette. Diskette required 2MB funky proprietary disks (not 1.44), can't find any.

5) Found old 4.2 disks (borrowed from friend), can't find any 4.3 anywhere, so working with it. Build lppsource and spot, but NIM install fails due to "corruption" of spot - missing some libs... stuck here since it looks like the libs the NIM expects in the spot are post 5L... 4.2 just doesn't have them.

6) Tried booting directly to 4.2 disks. It recognizes kernel, load Welcome to AIX and CPU and memory, then dies with this message:

"reg" property value exceeds 1024 bytes.

So any ideas other than use this thing as a boat anchor?

Again, if I could load 4.2 or whatever, I could easily get the latest firmware on it by using update_flash from the command line, but with no O/S I am stuck.

Michael

• Administrator
Re: Old F80 Boot issue
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 11:57:19 AM »
5) Found old 4.2 disks (borrowed from friend), can't find any 4.3 anywhere, so working with it. Build lppsource and spot, but NIM install fails due to "corruption" of spot - missing some libs... stuck here since it looks like the libs the NIM expects in the spot are post 5L... 4.2 just doesn't have them.

Why not install from the 4.2 CD's rather than from a NIM server?

Did you get any diagnostic CD's/floppies with the system. It has been a long time, but as I recall, firmware updates could be done from those as well.

No idea if it is bootable - I expect not - but there is also a .iso download for all IBM firmware - bith system and devices. I recommend you download and use that should you get the system booted.