Please login or register. October 18, 2017, 08:22:43 PM

Author Topic: Installation of fixes?  (Read 9863 times)

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
Installation of fixes?
« on: August 23, 2011, 04:03:19 AM »
As this is a more general question I am placing it outside the string it belongs to (the Apple Network Server).

I wanted to install a device driver for a 10/100 TX PCI Ethernet card, an IBM one, labeled "9-P". After starting AIX "Smit" told me about the missing file sets so I went to IBM's archives for version 4 of AIX and found some .bff, .txt and info files that seem to be the right ones. I downloaded them, burned them to an ISO 9660 Rockridge CD (top level, no directories), inserted it into my AIX box, mounted the CD-ROM, fired up "Smit" agin. But no drivers could be installed / were found on the CD-ROM. Opening the CD-ROM in a regular window outside "Smit" just revealed the .txt files - nothing else.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to have .rte files? These are not included in IBM's archive so I suppose the available files are more or less updates to already installed drivers, right? This would be pretty annoying as I am not owning any driver file sets regarding that card. Does anybody have a hint for me?

Again, thanks in advance!

J

Michael

• Administrator
Re: Installation of fixes?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:10:29 PM »
For updating in general, you do not need to burn a CD if you can ftp it to the system.

The command to create a table of contents (the .toc file) run the command inutoc [<directory name>]
I'll often just be in the directory and then run inutoc ..

Another useful command, assuming in the directory, is the list option of installp: installp -d . -L (or -l)

What you want to know is if a file is an installable, or an update (must be installed already before applying an update). An installable file is also referred to as a base fileset.

For the Java6.sdk filesets the output could look like this:

michael@x054:[/data/suma/6106]installp -d . -l | grep Java6.sdk
  Fileset Name                Level                     I/U Q Content ##added manually for legibility
  Java6.sdk                   6.0.0.215                  I  N usr,root (R)
  Java6.sdk                   6.0.0.265                  S  N usr,root (R)

michael@x054:[/data/suma/6106]installp -d . -L | grep Java6.sdk
Java6.sdk:Java6.sdk:6.0.0.215::I:C:::::N:Java SDK 32-bit ::::1::
Java6.sdk:Java6.sdk:6.0.0.265::S:T:::::N:Java SDK 32-bit::::1::

From the first command - many more lines - but some consider it easier to read - the is the I/U column. The letter to watch for is the capital I for Installable (base) fileset. Anything else is a varation on a updating fileset.

In the second output you are looking for a :I:... to indicate an installable fileset.

Hope this helps.

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »
This is getting annoying...

I re-downloaded the .bff file and burned it again onto a CD, mounted that one, even mounted a formatted floppy. Then I did the following:

restore -qvTf devicesp.bff      (as far as I understand by now a backup-file-format, this is the command to look into a bff's innards)

This gave me the following output:

New volume on devicesp.bff
cluster size is 51200 bytes (100 blocks)
The volume number is 1.
The backup date is Sa 14 Feb 23:10:21 1998
Files are backed up by name.
The user is BUILD
0 ./
310 ./lpp_name
0 ./usr
0 ./usr/lpp
0 ./usr/lpp/devices.pci.23100020/devices.pci.23100020.diag/4.1.5.1
3854 ./usr/lpp/devices.pci.23100020/devices.pci.23100020.diag/4.1.5.1/liblpp.a
49034 ./usr/lpp/diagnostics/lib/libtu_phoenix
total size: 53198
The number of archived files is 7

As I could not invoke Your suggested command I went this way but I still don't know what to do from here. Using the command

restore -qxvf devicesp.bff ./file/to/extract (see paths above)

accordingly sometimes threw me a "no backup file format" or sometimes "specified rfd0 is no file system". It seems to me that there is no ".rte"-file at all within this bff. Or might it be hidden in that liblpp.a?

J

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 02:09:43 PM »
lets try the following - I might make a "typo" here, but I hope the logic is clear.

# mount -r cdrfs /dev/cd0 /cdrom
# mkdir -p /tmp/device_updates
# cp /cdrom/* /tmp/device_updates
# inutoc /tmp/device_updates

### to list what you have available use
# installp -d /tmp/device_updates -L

### to install the update use
Option #1
# cfgmgr -i /tmp/device_updates # config manager will install device drivers it needs and finds

## Option #2
# smitty install_latest
-- where it asks for directory, say /tmp/device_updates

# Option #3
-- more choices, just remember your diorectory name
# smitty install

Hope this helps for now - or maybe you found it already!

p.s. If you download a new file, just copy it to the directory and rerun the inutoc command (to create/update a table of contents -- .toc)

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 06:11:46 AM »
Hmmm, will try this as soon as possible.

In the meantime the card arrived, it's an IBM card labeled "9-P", some sort oft low-cost standard PCI card meeting the requirements of my box. By now I have the strange feeling that any TX card calls the same driver file which - to me - looks like some sort of generic driver. I've tried to use 3com, IBM, Apple, DEC and else. They all mourn about exactly the same missing file.
I did not find any regular driver installation not packed into that bff-format. I now have a 4.1.5 installation CD which is CPU-specific (some of IBM's laptop models of that time). There are no drivers included which could help me so this CD will hit the bin sooner or later.

If anything fails... well, I will set this server up and running again. Having only 10 MBpS won't be fun but better than nothing. I will let You know what happened using Your advice as soon as I find some time to try them.

J

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 07:36:46 PM »
The CPU specific part of the CD from those days was the systems they would boot - everything else was the same.
If you put the CD into the drive and try:

# smitty cfgmgr

Then press F4 to get the cd in the list, and press enter. If there is a device on the CD that is suitable cfgmgr will/should load it.

Or: just enter

# cfgmgr -i /dev/cd0