Please login or register. October 22, 2017, 06:38:44 AM

Author Topic: Apple Network Server 500/132 & AIX 4.1.4  (Read 60056 times)

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
Apple Network Server 500/132 & AIX 4.1.4
« on: September 03, 2008, 02:11:10 PM »
Hello everybody.

Before asking some questions I would like to introduce myself a bit more to rootvg. First of all I?m no native speaker, so please excuse any humble or misunderstandable expression. I will try to do my very best!
I?m a freelance journalist and besides my profession a collector of unusual or rare computing hardware. My background on operating systems is based somewhere in the early days of the Spectrum ZX, later the Ataris and some Amigas but in deep I?m clearly located in the old Mac OS. Mac OS X in special and UNIX in general is still somewhat "uncomfortable" to me when Terminal-related actions are asked or in other words: I?m no UNIX freak. But as a collector I?m now facing UNIX in a very "uncomfortable" way: AIX 4.1.4. I know that this distribution is very old but as long as there is nearly no information available anymore about AIX for older computers I?m contacting any source in order to find some help - that?s why I?m here, now ;-)

Some days ago I was very lucky in getting myself an old Apple Network Server 500/132 (not to be mixed up with "Apple Workgroup Server" or "A/UX Macs"). This old box formerly was managed by two AIX versions: AIX 4.1.4 and later on a 4.1.5 update / upgrade. Other Versions besides the already mentioned ones could NOT be used on that machine, just Yellow Dog Linux 3 and 4 can be used with that strange server. As long as I would like to use that server with the original AIX OS lots of questions are rising...

I already managed to install 4.1.4 on that box facing lots of incompatibilites with original Apple hardware or compatible hardware that is usable in regular Macs. Ok, this is not a catastrophy. What really annoys me is the handling of AIX. It took me nearly 30 minutes to get my display resolution and refresh changed. Now You might have an impression how things look like ;-) While messing around with AIX a bit more I stumbled over the network settings...

Is there any documentation out there available describing the configuration of network settings within AIX in an understandable way? Doesn?t matter if written in English or German.

I?m looking for the Update / Upgrade 4.1.5 Apple once provided for download. I don?t know if the IBM update and the Apple update are the same (in fact the Apple AIX just contained some Apple-specific drivers and some utilities for a Mac OS based computer), so I don?t know if I could use an IBM update - if only one would be available. Can anybody in here help me with these files? The Apple update is preferred...

I?m wondering if there is any possibility to get PHP, MySQL and PHPMyAdmin installed on AIX 4.1.4, furthermore I?m unsure what Apache version can be used with that AIX version.

As You can see I?m pretty lost with that old OS... So any help or information is highly appreciated! Thanks in advance and kind regards from Switzerland

J

John R Peck

• Administrator
Re: Apple Network Server 500/132 & AIX 4.1.4
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 02:01:52 AM »
J,

Well I bet I hold the record for most judicious museum archiving of AIX  ;)
I still have working 3.2.5, 4.3.3 and 5.1 systems, all of which will run a very old version of NCSA web server I think it is called
- doesn't do name-based hosting, can't remember if it did SSL (I think not) and is very simple.  Don't know if other
versions of Apache proper would work with 4.1.4/5 (which I don't think I ever used for very long - bit of a bug-fest as I recall), but Michael has some experience of compiling Apache on various AIX levels and it might work - those old libraries are going to be a problem I suspect.

For network settings, "smit mktcpip", you shouldn't need to mess with "no" settings or other layers of it to get it working.

However, instead of bothering with all the rotten Apples,  ::)
I recommend you go on eBay or contact a local second hand pSeries seller
and get a proper IBM AIX machine, e.g. a 43P-150 or p505:
- the former is very cheap now, will take you up to 5.3 and is much nicer to work with, rather PC-like,
- the later is ideal to play with LPARs and much dearer but my favourite design of machine (intended for a rack, 1U).
Then you can have a really nice Apache server on it, just like this one.

If any of our other readers would like to plan ahead for Christmas,
ROOTVG would very much like a p505 to play with if
anyone out there happens to be giving one away.
  :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:07:06 AM by John R Peck »

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 07:52:15 AM »
A year earlier and I would have still had the CD's for you - at least to copy from. But I cleaned out my basement.

As far as setting up network, display, etc.. there are some new features, but the basic steps have not change from AIX 3.2.5 for tcpip. Although in those days there was more 'need' for a bsd way of doing things - which is still in AIX 6.1 I believe (the switch to bsd way).

basically, use 'smitty mktcpip' and fill in the dialog.

for your display, 'smitty devices' and look for the correct family of devices (display adapters).

I'll look into getting AIX 4.3.3 documentation - I think I still have that here somewhere - but you could just refer to the AIX 5.1 documentation for the more basic info. I have a link on the home page. What also might interest you is following the hardware infocenter link.

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 07:56:55 AM »
When looking for end-of-life updates, and other 'hard to find' updates, never complete pacjages, refer to ftp://ftp.boulder.ibm.com/software/server/

Something that might be useful to you is a recent addition - maybe nothing: ftp://ftp.boulder.ibm.com/software/server/duplicatemac/

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »
Well, I got a bit further in my quest...

For some odd reason Apple still mentions within an online cocument, that the 4.1.5 Upgrade (which turns out to be a full install) is available from IBM - IBM in return states the 4.1.5 AIX as "not available and unsupported". So in other words: if I can?t find a copy of 4.1.5 I will have to get along with 4.1.4 - which is quite annoying as this AIX doesn?t support some hardware I really need. In addition the old Mac OS utilities are not available anymore, too, so configuration of volumes will take place within AIX only. Those utilities were installed on regular Macs in order to obtain a terminal connection and a disk management utility.

What really annoys me is that hardware compatibility thing. I got myself several PCI Ethernet cards which sometimes refuse to work. When installing a fresh BOS the server recognizes some but only when installed in the upper three PCI slots. Installing these cards after installing the BOS does not work. The strangest thing: the IBM Ethernet card from 1995 does not work in any way...

Now, as I?m still pretty confused with that AIX my major interest is how to determine the MAC adress of a network adapter. Is there a terminal command / smitty input that could deliver such information?

Thanks in advance once again.

J

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 05:23:58 PM »
The easy part: seeing the MAC address:

michael@x054:[/home/michael]netstat -i
Name  Mtu   Network     Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
en0   1500  link#2      0.9.6b.3e.46.ff    9994565     0  5552487     0     0
en0   1500  192.168.129 x054               9994565     0  5552487     0     0
lo0   16896 link#1                           25026     0    25395     0     0
lo0   16896 127         loopback             25026     0    25395     0     0
lo0   16896 ::1                              25026     0    25395     0     0

My MAC address is: 0x00096b3e46ff (link # line).

Regarding hardware issues: IBM was always very specific about hardware specificatins. Cards not built to "standards" generally failed in an IBM box - even PC's. In the early days of PCI, and especially the ISA interfaces lots of settings had to be set or modified while in the BIOS setup programs. This could explain why cards can be seen/installed at original install, but not afterwards.

However, if you know the real hardware values, you can modify them, and then re-run cfgmgr and/or reboot to activate a card.

On this box: running AIX 4.3.3 I list the addapters: then I examine the two cards. The type is actually seen as the same by AIX, but from the location codes I know one is on the motherboard (integrated) the other is a card (in a PCI slot).

$ su
root's Password:
# lsdev -Cc adapter
sa0    Available 01-C0 Standard I/O Serial Port 1
sa1    Available 01-D0 Standard I/O Serial Port 2
sioka0 Available 01-F0 Keyboard Adapter
sioma0 Available 01-G0 Mouse Adapter
fda0   Available 01-H0 Standard I/O Diskette Adapter
pmc0   Available 01-I0 Power Management Controller
scsi0  Available 04-C0 Wide SCSI I/O Controller
siota0 Available 01-A0 Tablet Adapter
ppa0   Available 01-B0 Standard I/O Parallel Port Adapter
paud0  Available 01-E0 Ultimedia Integrated Audio
ent0   Available 04-B0 IBM PCI Ethernet Adapter (22100020)
ent1   Available 04-02 IBM PCI Ethernet Adapter (22100020)

# lsattr -EHl ent0
attribute     value          description                       user_settable

busio         0x1000100      Bus I/O address                   False
busintr       6              Bus interrupt level               False
intr_priority 3              Interrupt priority                False
tx_que_size   64             TRANSMIT queue size               True
rx_que_size   32             RECEIVE queue size                True
full_duplex   no             Full duplex                       True
use_alt_addr  no             Enable ALTERNATE ETHERNET address True
alt_addr      0x000000000000 ALTERNATE ETHERNET address        True
# lsattr -EHl ent1
attribute     value          description                       user_settable

busio         0x1000120      Bus I/O address                   False
busintr       2              Bus interrupt level               False
intr_priority 3              Interrupt priority                False
tx_que_size   64             TRANSMIT queue size               True
rx_que_size   32             RECEIVE queue size                True
full_duplex   no             Full duplex                       True
use_alt_addr  no             Enable ALTERNATE ETHERNET address True
alt_addr      0x000000000000 ALTERNATE ETHERNET address        True
#

The important values are the ones with the user_settable attribute False. This means that AIX cannot change the value - it is determined by the hardware. For Most PCI/ISA adapters these are bus_io address, interrupt number (busintr) and interrupt priority (intr_priority).

On you system, compare the values that you can read while in the BIOS, or hardware setup programs, and the settings listed. By the way, your card drivers might say True for user_settable, but actually, this means that you can change the setting for the driver, not really change the card settings from AIX.

Probably, this will be a requirement to have any success as when I try to change one of these settings, I get, as is to be expected, an error message.

# chdev -l ent1 -a busintr=3 -P
Method error (/usr/lib/methods/chgent):
        0514-018 The values specified for the following attributes
                 are not valid:
     busintr     Bus interrupt level

As you can see, the command to change a setting is in the form:

# chdev -l device_name -a attr_name=new_value

For example, chdev -l ent0 -a rx_que_size=64 [-P]

The -P argument is to make a change in the settings database (ODM) but not change an active device. It will take effect after the device either goes to Defined state (rmdev -l dev_name) and then gets activated again (cfgmgr, or mkdev -l device_name), or after a reboot if the device cannot be offlined.

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 06:39:05 AM »
Thanks a lot Michael for providing such valuable information. I hope You don't mind my requests, AIX is very new to me and has nothing in common with the operating systems I knew until now.

In the meantime I got a step further. I already found out that a "regular" IBM AIX 4.1.5 Install will not work on my box, it has to be that update from Apple that is lost by now - no need to mention that IBM's support in this case was much better than Apple's constant refuse to give any reply at all. So I am damned to stick to 4.1.4. This reduces my options a bit more: no 100 mbps as far as I can see. The odd thing about this: the Apple 10/100 TX card is "defined"  but not "availble".

I've been experimenting a bit more with that box. I already managed to copy all installation files of the CD to the much faster hard disk and making a DDS-2 and a DLT tape backup from all this - just in case my experiments should end up within a desaster. In addition I added two more disks to the rootvg, expanding the file system. We, might be small steps in Your eyes but to me it's some sort of "first contact".

Still in need of further support and information I hope I'm not annoying the audience too much...

J

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 08:54:21 PM »
Defined means IBM recognizes it as a card, but cannot make it available - i.e. talk with it.

please provide the output of the command:

# lsattr -El ent0 (assuming your card is ent0 that is defined - otherwise change the 0 for the correct #).

And, just in case you thought so - rootvg.net is not IBM. John Peck owns the domain, and I help out as a hobby. google ads and donations keep rootvg.net in the air.

Michael

John Peck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 09:51:56 PM »

"In the air" - is that like something by Howard Hughes :D

Re the audience - personally I'd like more questions like this,
or anything involving shell scripting as the answer,
with less of the VIOS and stuff I cannot abide :-\

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 11:05:57 AM »
First of all thanks again!

I knew this domain isn?t bound to IBM - most of valuable information is found outside the major companies, anyway ;-)
@ John: what does VIOS stand for? I?m a classic Mac user, not into deep into commands and stuff alike... I noticed from time to time that asking questions as a complete newbie can annoy an audience pretty fast. I already ordered an AIX 4 book but I didn?t recieve it until now so many questions will be placed here.

But now to the comman line output - the card is ent1 (sorry, no code copy paste, just written by hand):

device_addr: 0xffffffff - Device Address: False
intr_level: 13 - Bus interrupt level: False
intr_priority: 3 - Interrupt priority: False
xmt_que_size: 128 - TRANSMIT queue size: True
rcv_pool_size: 40 - RECIEVE buffer pool size: True
use_alt_addr: no - Enable ALTERNATE ETHERNET address: True
alt_addr: 0x - ALTERNATE ETHERNET address: True
OF_handle: 0x9f52250 - OpenFirmware node handle: False
cfg_addr: 0x - Configuration Space Address: True
full_dpx: auto - Enable Full Duplex Operation: True
xmt_thrs: 0 - Transmit FIFO Threshold: True
capt_fx: no - Enable Capture Effect Avoidance: True