Please login or register. October 17, 2017, 08:25:32 PM

Author Topic: Apple Network Server 500/132 & AIX 4.1.4  (Read 59955 times)

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
Re: Apple Network Server 500/132 & AIX 4.1.4
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 07:03:18 AM »
Don?t worry about Your memory - I do have the same problems sometimes when I?m dealing with old Mac systems before 8.0. Although I own quite a bunch of documentation I am simply sometimes too lazy to re-read those. And memories can be tricky ;-)

Anyway, I feared it would end up that way being able to use just one port for dhcp - although it doesn?t make much sense to me as I could fit up to 6 PCI NICs into that box (and Apple states this expandability as a major plus of that box). So why having up to seven interfaces when only four protocols can be used and only one interface could be dhcp-ed? Doesn?t matter, as long as I need only one interface for dhcp in order to use DynDNS it shouldn?t be that tragic.

Before I will set up DynDNS and Apache I will have to deal with AppleTalk. As some of my old Macs will never be able to use any kind of ethernet interface the ANS will have to do some AppleTalk/TCPIP routing - will be a major pain, I guess but at least this part is a bit documentated by Apple.

So for now "just" these questions:

- How do I determine if perl is installed and which version it is?
- How do I compile (if needed anyway) the Apache 1.3.1 binaries? What prerequisites do I have to have?

Once again many "Thank You?s" for Your very valuable help!

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2011, 02:16:49 PM »
Just a short side note on what oddity I discovered today:

I re-installed the whole bunch, now this time configuring en1 as the DHCP interface - I kept the IP settings for both interfaces (10.0.1.30 and 10.0.1.31). Guess what happened: without using

# /usr/bin/mktcpip -h localhost -a 10.0.1.30 -i en0

for the onboard interface I was able to ping -> both <- interfaces. After re-booting this was gone.

J

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2011, 05:32:24 PM »
I had to clean up, having another major clean up session now as well, when I, with pain on my heart, got rid of my Inside Macintosh Volumes 1-5.

A lot of the information in those books was no longer completely valid after HFS came out, but still, I spent several years programming Macs from the FatMac (512Mbyte) to OS version 6.X.Y.

Last year I cleaned up an 11 vol series on AIX documentation - for AIX 4.1.4. That information is all available on DVD now - the most important volumes then being Vol 1 and Vol 2 (which are now the six manual voulmes) and Vol 3 and Vol 4 (The two Technology Volumes).

You sound like some one who will also read a manual. I would recommend reading the AIX 5.1 PDF
(as close as I can get easily, to AIX 4.1 via the rootvg.net link at:
http://www.rootvg.net/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,203/

Now about your fresh installation - before reboot you should save the output of the commands:
lsattr -El ent0 and lsattr -El ent1

Also the output of ifconfig -a.

Perl - if it is installed, something like this:
michael@x054:[/data/home/michael]perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for aix-thread-multi

Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

For rebuilding Apache - I would look for an older version of gcc as compiler if you must go the complier route. Standard with all those source packages is that you run the command ./configure and it tells you what is needed.

As an experiment you could try downloading a version of Apache I built for AIX 5.3 (http://dl.aixtools.org/apache2/). I don't expect it to work, but it might. Surprises happen. And I am looking at recompiling a version of Apache 2.2 for AIX 4.3.3 (I don't think I have any copies of AIX 4.1.5 to reinstall).

Re: AppleTalk - IBM had a product it sold/supported - I cannot think of the name right now. The product was to help integrate many different protocols into/with TCPIP protocols.

Lastly: although I like the ODM solution - very much - when I first started at IBM I wondered often - why bother? I was so used to using vi and going into /usr/sys/* and /etc/* files to configure everything that I really did not see the value. That came when I started needing to install 10 to 30 systems in an hour, and might get disturbed. It was just much easier to have commands that made synchronous changes in three or four places.
So, this is just one system, ODM/dhcp is not working the way we want it - lets look at the "Berkeley" way which has been in AIX since AIX version 3.0.

Step #1 - verify/change the bootup_option (in the ODM :) )

# ]lsattr -El inet0
authm         65536 Authentication Methods              True
bootup_option no    Use BSD-style Network Configuration True
gateway             Gateway                             True
hostname      x054  Host Name                           True
route               Route                               True

Change to BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) Network Style
# chdev -l inet0 -a bootup_option=yes
inet0 changed

In /etc/rc.tcpip look for the following:
Code: [Select]
# check the bootup_option flag in the configuration database
option=`lsattr -E -l inet0 -a bootup_option -F value`
Skip over the if [ "$option" = "no"  ] block...
so that we end with
else
        src_running=""
fi

There should be a file /etc/rc.bsdnet -- ignore it. You will need to edit the file: /etc/rc.net instead. Update "Part II"
##################################################################
# Part II - Traditional Configuration.
##################################################################
# An alternative method for bringing up all the default interfaces
# is to specify explicitly which interfaces to configure using the
# ifconfig command.  Ifconfig requires the configuration information
# be specified on the command line.  Ifconfig will not update the
# information kept in the ODM configuration database.
#
# Valid network interfaces are:
# lo=local loopback, en=standard ethernet, et=802.3 ethernet
# sl=serial line IP, tr=802.5 token ring, xs=X.25
#
# e.g., en0 denotes standard ethernet network interface, unit zero.
#
# Below are examples of how you could bring up each interface using
# ifconfig.  Since you can specify either a hostname or a dotted
# decimal address to set the interface address, it is convenient to
# set the hostname at this point and use it for the address of
# an interface, as shown below:
#
#/bin/hostname robo.austin.ibm.com      >>$LOGFILE 2>&1
#
# (Remember that if you have more than one interface,
# you'll want to have a different IP address for each one.
# Below, xx.xx.xx.xx stands for the internet address for the
# given interface).
#
#/usr/sbin/ifconfig lo0 inet loopback    up >>$LOGFILE 2>&1
#/usr/sbin/ifconfig en0 inet `hostname`  up >>$LOGFILE 2>&1
#/usr/sbin/ifconfig et0 inet xx.xx.xx.xx  up >>$LOGFILE 2>&1
#/usr/sbin/ifconfig tr0 inet xx.xx.xx.xx  up >>$LOGFILE 2>&1
#/usr/sbin/ifconfig sl0 inet xx.xx.xx.xx  up >>$LOGFILE 2>&1
#/usr/sbin/ifconfig xs0 inet xx.xx.xx.xx  up >>$LOGFILE 2>&1
#
#
# Now we set any static routes.
#
# /usr/sbin/route add 0 gateway                 >>$LOGFILE 2>&1
# /usr/sbin/route add 192.9.201.0 gateway       >>$LOGFILE 2>&1

You will need to remove comments. Note: you may use any command you want, e.g.
/usr/bin/mktcpip

The choice is not very common, but it is an official method. Maybe this solves the reboot issues for you.

The last bit I am thinking of goes back to when I had an old model (P40 model, the first to support ISA and PCI). These cards were not all auto-configureable. This is why I need/want to see the output of the commands:

lsdev -Cc adapter

and of all the entX adapters the command
lsattr -El entX

For some cards, that "reboot" fail to recognize correctly, it may be necessary to manually make changes in the ODM.

On one of my "old" systems:
mamfelt@x121:[/usr/sbin]lsattr -El ent0
busio         0x1000100      Bus I/O address                   False
busintr       6              Bus interrupt level               False
intr_priority 3              Interrupt priority                False
tx_que_size   64             TRANSMIT queue size               True
rx_que_size   32             RECEIVE queue size                True
full_duplex   no             Full duplex                       True
use_alt_addr  yes            Enable ALTERNATE ETHERNET address True
alt_addr      0x0000c50dd140 ALTERNATE ETHERNET address        True

Run the lsattr command to see if you can change any of the busio, busintr, or intr_priority (and note whether these are different after "install" versus after "reboot"

On the one hand, I dont think you have any problems here, but I want to get you prepared for some of the ways to investigate.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:07:03 PM by Michael »

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2011, 02:58:36 PM »
Funny! I still keep my Inside Macintosh Volume I - III (first edition!) just for nostalgia reasons also the once only internally published "think different" campaign booklet and many other rarities but yes: I am actually keeping and reading manuals when I got hold of them. Regarding the Apple Network server it took me lots of time to get my fingers on some printed and otherwise written material... Where do I get that DVD You mentioned?

I swept out some hardware in the meantime, too. Right now I am sticking to my three Twentieth Anniversary Macintoshes (one in original state, the other one upgraded to it´s possible maximum running iTunes 1.1 and besides that BeOS 5 Pro), my NeXTcube, my upgraded 512k, the Bandai Pippin AtMark, Apples Set Top Box, some older PowerBooks for Rhapsody and alike and a Quadra 700 with A/UX (still hoping to get a 900 or 950 Quadra though...). I do not really know what to do with the rest (Apple //e, all three Cobalt Qubes, some Ataris and else), maybe I am selling or keeping them. I am still longing for a BeBox but I guess this will stay a dream...

Ok, now back to topics. For ent0 following is listed when lsattr -El ent0:

device_addr        0xffffffff      Device Address                  False
dma_addr           0xffffffff      DMA Address                     False
x_intr_level         23              Transmit Interrupt Level     False
r_intr_level         22              Receive Interrupt Level       False
x_int_priority       3                Transmit Interrupt Priority  False
r_int_priority       3                Receive Interrupt Priority   False
xmt_que_size      128              TRANSMIT queue size          True
rcv_pool_size      40               RECEIVE buffer pool size      True
use_alt_addr       no              Enable alternate ethernet address  True
alt_addr             0x               Alternate ethernet address      True
OF_handle          0x1ff480b8   OpenFirmware node handle     False

For ent1 it looks this: 

device_addr        0xf5100000      Device Address                  False
intr_level         29                     Bus Interrupt Level             False
intr_priority      3                      Interrupt Priority                False
xmt_que_size      128                TRANSMIT queue size          True
rcv_pool_size      40                  RECEIVE buffer pool size      True
use_alt_addr       no              Enable alternate ethernet address  True
alt_addr             0x               Alternate ethernet address      True
OF_handle          0x1ff524b0   OpenFirmware node handle     False
cfg_addr             0x              Configuration Space Address   True
full_dpx              auto            Enable Full Duplex Operation   True
xmt_thrs            160              Transmit FIFO threshold         True
capt_fx              no                Enable Capture Effects Avoidance  True

Entering "ifconfig -a" throws me this:

0821-515 ifconfig: error loading /usr/lib/drivers/if -a: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. Without "-a" it shows me the flags possible to use. Entering "ifconfig et0" (not ent0) results this:

et0: flags=8080822<BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>

with et1 it looks exactly the same.

I am not sure if I understood Your comment regarding Perl right. As long as I do not know UNIX and AIX in deep very much I had to search for it in the InfoExplorer - but did not find anything. But by now it seems to me that no AIX 4.1.x version included Perl in any way so I have to compile that one, too (I think it will be Perl version 5).

IBM once made or offered an "AppleShare (file) server" based on AppleTalk - seems to have gone lost... And I have been searching for it very intensively. I´ve had some success in AppleTalk by now. I connected an old PowerBook 520c via Ethernet, configured AppleTalk for routing purposes on en0, configured AURP (AppleTalk over TCP) and some services for a Macintosh client software bundle. This bundle contains

- a disk management utility (for setting up VGs, LVMs and else)
- a VT102 CommandShell
- a Fractal Demo
- a Status Demo

I was able to connect the disk management utility as guest, setting up a root connection throws me a "cannot send xyz to host" error - maybe this is caused by the old MacTCP control panel. All the other utilities can not get connected as guest or root. But the PowerBook "sees" the server via AppleTalk in the chooser and it notes the AppleTalk zone.

For GCC: after some research and investigation on the net I found GCC 2.8.1 (http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/) - seems to be the adequate version for my purposes. I will try to install that one (and other things needed) - I have never done such stuff before and I am somehow a bit nervous... GCC 2.9 and up seem to be for AIX 4.3. But besides this many sites on the web tell me that IBMs ANSI C compiler is a lot easier to use than GCC and produces much less errors in compiling. Is that true? Where do I get this ANSI C compiler for my box?

I am so happy that You seem (...) to have some fun in helping me in my quest!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:16:50 AM by Leografix »

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 05:09:32 AM »
A small "update", better: some new experiences...

I was trying to install GCC (now in version 3.1, to me the last one that was compiled and tested in 4.1.5 successfully). I did not came very far as I don't understand the GCC manual regarding the installation and prerequisites topics. Nevertheless I started ./configure and ./configure.guess.

While fiddling around with tar and else I wondered about some aspects of the AIX file system. I wanted to trash several objects from the GCC installation (for example the tar itself). In any attempt to do this the File Manager throwed me an error of that kind: "Not enough space on that device". In other words: I had to trash small bunches of files one after the other. Now: as far as I found out the "Trash" is located as a directory in /.dt/Trash. What is strange to me: how can a directory be defined as a device? I know that mounting a file system of a CD ROM for example handles the directory "/cdrom" as a device but I do not understand, why "Trash" also is a device.
As I didn't find out how to increase the possible size of the Trash directory I started to modify the file system sizes of /, /home, /tmp and else - but this did not change (capacity) the size of the Trash itself or at least not to the amount I needed ist to be.

Which brings up another question: right now I have 4 drives with 36 GB each, rootvg on hd0, all the other drives not assigned to any vg by now. Following the rule of thumb (I know this is not ideal as long as I now don't know how my workload will look like later on) I assigned the double of my physical RAM - 1024 MB as paging space to that single hd0. I am going to upgrade my drives to 73 GB ones soon.

Is there any rule of thumb how the file systems should be resized when leaving rootvg on one single drive (in return any rule of thumb if rootvg is "spanned" over more disks)?

As long as I don't plan to use my box as a development machine in extreme I tend to find a balanced mixture between average availability and average performance. I am going to use it as a http and maybe as a ftp server, AppleTalk just for internal use. To me it appears to be "enough" to assign all available hard disks to the rootvg (not other vg's for server purposes). Am I correct in this?

And if someone in here has some experience with installing and building GCC I would appreciate some more help pretty much.

J

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2011, 09:58:32 AM »
Very slow line: short answers.

CDE (Common Desktop Environment) is the GUI that comes with AIX. Licensed from HP Openview if i recall correctly. Trash is a directory, in root (/) in your case. I would look around for settings to delete files immediately, or use a command prompt and use the command rm.

I generally read the README and/or INSTALL files, or names similar, before running ./configure.

A simple test is helloworld.c
Code: [Select]
#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
    printf("Hello World\n");
}

then use:
$ cc helloworld.c
$ ./a.out

If it says hello your compiler is installed and working.

Regarding memory: a rule of thumb was paging space 2x physical memory. However in your case I would keep it smaller for now - 512M to 1G, and monitor usage with the command
lsps -s

regarding your other disks: if you had them as a volume group before:

# importvg -y vgMyData hdisk1

otherwise the command will use mkvg (to make a volume group). I'll work up something for you on that asap.

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »
Well, I am not that familiar with technical English and this is why I'm getting a bit confused by the installation instructions of GCC. Anyway I will try to find a german translation.

Yesterday my 5 hard disks arrived, each 72 GB with 15.000 RPM - the maximum this box can handle. Right now I only have 4 of them inside the trays as I will have to look for a fifth SCSI interconnect board (maybe I will make one on my own if I can't find one at eBay's). It was pretty hard to get such drives with 68 Pin connector - the ANS does not have SAS connectors.

Right now hd0 is carrying the rootvg, all the other drives are just formatted (without certify as it does not work with drives larger than 36 GB) and not assigned to any vg. These are the outputs of

#lsvg rootvg

Volume group: rootvg
VG state: active
VG permission: read/write
Max LVs: 256
LVs: 8
Open LVs: 7
Total PVs: 1
Stale PVs: 0
Active PVs: 1
VG Identifier: 0024d7e8e93c8b7c
PP size: 128 megabyte(s)
Total PPs: 546 (69888 megabytes)
Free PPs: 522 (66816 megabytes)
Used PPs: 24 (3072 megabytes)
Quorum: 2
VG descriptors: 2
Stale PPs: 0
Auto on: yes
_______________________________________ __________
The paging space was modified by me after installation:

#lsps -a

Page Space: hd6
Physical volume: hdisk0
Volume Group: rootvg
Size: 1024 MB (exactly the double of my physically installed RAM!)
%Used: 4
Active: yes
Auto: yes
Type: lv
_______________________________________ _______________
#df -k

Filesystem                   1024-blocks          Free         %Used       Iused       %Iused         Mounted on
/dev/hd4                      131072                118136     10             1400         3                 /
/dev/hd2                     1310720               70644        95            22450        7                /usr
/dev/hd9var                 131072                126332      4               173          1                 /var
/dev/hd3                      131072                126756      4               30            1                /tmp
/dev/hd1                      131072                126804      4               38            1                /home

Note that all the installable software from the CDROM was copied to the harddisk hd0 right after installation (is this why /usr is used tp 95 %?).

Regarding IBM's ANSI C Compiler...

I had contact to IBM Germany and they told me that no version of that compiler for AIX 4 is available anymore (I wasn't astonished about that fact too much...). So I've been searching the net and found out that the ANSI C compiler is part of "IBM Visual Age C++ Professional" - and I own that one in Version 6.0 for AIX 5 L (I got AIX 5 L some time ago alongside with a RS/6000 machine). But version 6.0 (and even 5.0) seem to be made for AIX at least version 4.3.3 - so if anyone here has version -> 4.0 <- of that Visual Age C++ archived and wants to trade it please let me know - I am not in need of AIX 5 L and the bunch of IBM CDs that lie around here by now.

There is absolutly no hurry to answer my requests this time as I will be on the road the next days, too ;-)

J
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:12:54 PM by Leografix »

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2011, 01:00:34 PM »
What would be interesting (to me), and perhaps helpful to you, would be to see if a migration update to AIX 4.3.3 is possible. As there is no support for AIX 4.1.X, not having support for AIX 4.3.3 should not be an issue. Only thing I can think of that might be an issue is whether AIX will be able to create a boot image for the Apple platform.

Re: the version of xLC that you have. The higher versions were a must for newer versions of AIX, but often supported older versions. I have been using xlC version 7, that was released for AIX 5.2 iirc on AIX 5.3 and even AIX 6.1. The newer versions were backward compatible - for a bit. Check the documentation with your release.

You have a very serious hobby it seems. My pleasure to be assisting you.

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2011, 02:15:36 PM »
Well, it is a hobby but I am taking it not too serious. I am just somewhat picky about my projects as they are rather unusual. To give You an impression: I once set up a PM 9500 with MKLinux, Windows 95 and 98, Mac OS 7.6 up to 9.2.2 and pre-release OS X versions - all at the same time with a G4 upgrade just to see if it works (and it does). A Quadra is set up with A/UX, this box right now is the LocalTalk Ethernet Bridge (the Apple Network Server hopefully will do that job later on when this project is finished). I once ran a little http server on a Mac Plus... I always want test how far I can go with unusal setups. So this is why I am not owning many but truly not ordinary computers. Imagine a Newton 2100 as a http server ;-)

Back to topics:

I am pretty sure that any update to 4.2 or 4.3 will not be possible - I researched that many times before. There are just two notes mentioning that Apple once planed to go that way but they never made it. Another ANS owner once tried it with regular IBM versions - leaving his ANS completly unbootable (as far as I know he never got that ANS back to work). I suppose it has something to do with the Apple Open Firmware and the implementation of the cache and ROM (the ROM is somewaht a stripped version of a 9500 PM - without any Mac OS code in it). So AIX for the ANS is not just an AppleTalked version of AIX but a adapted version to the specialities of that machine. I have been looking IBMs sources for any possibility to upgrade but the special drivers for some hardware components of the ANS (not used in any RS/6000 as far as I know) are all ending at level 4.1.5.0. So this road will lead to nowhere for pretty sure.

Regarding xCL and else:

I could use my RS/6000 for compiling purposes, I know. But I want to build "native" versions of GCC and Apache (maybe Pearl and else) just on that box. I want to write about my experiences in compiling on that machine to give other ANS owners as much hints as possible later on. Although it truly will be much easier to compile on AIX 5 L / RS/6000 this is only my second choice. So I will try to find the 4.0 version of VisualAge. If I am not successful I will deal with GCC (to be more exact: I will deal with GCC until I find the 4.0 version).

But for now I will be offline for two weeks. Vacation is a hobby I am taking more serious than any beloved machine I own (I like the black RS machines - but to be honest: my NeXTcube looks slightly better ;-)). So I hope to be back here as soon as possible.

Once again thank You very much for Your highly apreciated help!

J