Please login or register. August 19, 2017, 07:17:49 AM

Author Topic: Apple Network Server 500/132 & AIX 4.1.4  (Read 59023 times)

John R Peck

• Administrator
Re: Apple Network Server 500/132 & AIX 4.1.4
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »

VIOS is where you have a partitioned machine, with multiple operating systems
doing their I/O through one of the partitions that has real resources allocated to it.
This leads to immense over complication, poor performance, but a chance to keep
lots of people in work ::)

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 06:18:37 PM »
Ok. quick reply. The address 0xffffffff is probably just a placeholder.

Can you start the machine in BIOS mode and find out what the BIOS says the card is setup as. I assume the card is not hot-pluggable and/or the AIX version you have does not know how to modify the addresses. So I need to know it's addresses, interupt etc..

Once I have those values I can pass a number of commands to manually modify the ODM so the driver gets loaded with the correct (I hope) values.

And I like VIOS - Virtual IO Server - because it keeps me in work. This week I am teaching the course AU78: VIOS Best Practices (as an alternative title - I rarely remember the official one).

And newbs sometimes have the best questions - welcome to rootvg.net!

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 02:19:10 PM »
Newbies sometimes ask the best questions - absolutly true! Regarding topics I have some knowledge of I can only testify this statement ;-)

So for now I got a bit further... sort of. I managed to acquire the pure Apple 4.1.5 install CD  :) But it doesn?t solve my problem in some ways. At last I now have german translations in some areas of AIX. Ok, but now to topics:

As far as I know no Apple machine has a "BIOS" but an "Open Firmware" which can be accessed right after booting the machine, so any information stored there surely will look a bit different from what I know of BIOS screens, but I can try if You want to.
Anyway the 100 MBps TX card from Apple still stays "defined" but now I know the type of device the BOS couldn?t "put" into the kernel. When installing the BOS the installer moans about a

device.pci.23100020
devices.pci.pci.1023+2000

As long as I don?t want to outsource Your knowledge too much and fast I thought to myself: "You?ve seen such lines somewhere before" - so I began to roll bookmarks and stumbled over this IBM site:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/aix/fixes/v4/devices/

I scrolled to a line which at least looked a bit like the two lines above but there are many entries that look the same. I decided to download

devices.pci.23100020.diag.4.1.5.1.bff

At least the first three parts look exactly the same, but the "diag", the "4.1.5.1" and the "bff" are different. So I made some brainstorming:

bff = file type extension (?)
4.1.5.1 = version of AIX this driver is supposed to be used within (?)
diag = ????

As far as I understand AIX by now "diag" means some sort of diagnostic routine, so I don?t think this file is actually a driver but something AIX calls "selective fix package". Is it true? The according info file states the same (selective fix package for an IBM PCI 10/100 Mb Et card).
What really annoys me is the fact that a fresh installation of that newly acquired AIX seems (I don?t know exactly) to install a 4.1.5 but not a 4.1.5.1 - so I don?t know if I can use this driver if it is actually a driver that might work.

One supposed to be more simple problem resulting of all this: how do I transfer such a driver? As far as I understood the system by now it should be enough to fill an ISO 9660 CD with all the stuff and drivers needed, throw it into the CD ROM drive and specify that one as source. True?

Another aspect are harddisks. I?ve been exchanging several disks (right now I only can connect one at a time) and installed to see if the server accepts different HD sizes. After shutting down the server via several commands like

shutdown -F
shutdown -h

etc. AIX seems to have some troubles with some drives that worked before. As I don?t know how to format (low-level) a disk I tend to hang them to a Mac and reformat them there (one drive couldn?t get even recognized anymore... 146 GB for the dustbin :( ). Is there a command that can be used in the early boot state to low level format a drive which is stated "unknown to the BOS database"?

Dear, oh dear...

J

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »
In the meantime I already forgot how I copied all files off the CD to the hard disk - to use that hard disk as source for drivers :(

J

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 04:19:21 PM »
I found the way how to copy the files :)

But another update: the BOS identifies the Apple Ethernet Card. It states the 10 MBps functionality as "available" but the 100 MBps functionality only as "defined" - so I suppose it?s just a question of how AIX tries to talk to the right interfaces?

J

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 12:06:31 PM »

So for now I got a bit further... sort of. I managed to acquire the pure Apple 4.1.5 install CD  :) But it doesn?t solve my problem in some ways. At last I now have german translations in some areas of AIX.

As far as I know no Apple machine has a "BIOS" but an "Open Firmware"

did not know what Apple would call it, but need the values, if possible, that the system says it has. However, we may be able to solve this differently as well.

Try the Apple CD first:
# cfgmgr -i /dev/cd0

This command does a plug and play discovery of devices, and when it finds a device that does not have a driver on system, it checks the installation media (-i) for a driver.
If you get your error message again, try the AIX 4.1.5 disk as well.

To see what is on an IBM media disk use the following command:

# installp -d /dev/cd0 -L

and maybe grep for your device number.

device.pci.23100020
devices.pci.pci.1023+2000

As long as I don?t want to outsource Your knowledge too much and fast I thought to myself: "You?ve seen such lines somewhere before" - so I began to roll bookmarks and stumbled over this IBM site:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/aix/fixes/v4/devices/

I scrolled to a line which at least looked a bit like the two lines above but there are many entries that look the same. I decided to download

devices.pci.23100020.diag.4.1.5.1.bff

At least the first three parts look exactly the same, but the "diag", the "4.1.5.1" and the "bff" are different.

You came very close:

bff = file type extension (?) -- Backup File Format (as in backup/restore command rather than tar or cpio)
4.1.5.1 = version of AIX this driver is supposed to be used within (?): AIX 4.1.5, patch #1
diag = diagnostics.

More IBM speak now: IBM files sets are delivered as LPP: Licensed Program Packages. LPP are packaged as filesets, and filesets can be bundled. We wont deal with bundles here - just name dropping.

The LPP for this device is: devices.pci.23100020

The filesets are: diag, com, and rte (without looking these are the most common filesets for devices) and then there is the version number as well.

When you use the installp command above to list LPP filesets on media, or in a directory, there are two types: type I and type U (Installable, and Update). Updates only work in combination with an already installed fileset. Installable are installable when it has not been installed before, or it is a higher level the the current version installed. So updates are small by comparison. You can also force an installation (to go backwards, or to reinstall because you doubt the integrity of the installed version).

As far as I understand AIX by now "diag" means some sort of diagnostic routine, so I don?t think this file is actually a driver but something AIX calls "selective fix package". Is it true?
Yes, a fix for some diagnostics routines, not the driver (in the .com - common, and .rte - run time environment) filesets.

The according info file states the same (selective fix package for an IBM PCI 10/100 Mb Et card).

What really annoys me is the fact that a fresh installation of that newly acquired AIX seems (I don?t know exactly) to install a 4.1.5 but not a 4.1.5.1 - so I don?t know if I can use this driver if it is actually a driver that might work.

One supposed to be more simple problem resulting of all this: how do I transfer such a driver? As far as I understood the system by now it should be enough to fill an ISO 9660 CD with all the stuff and drivers needed, throw it into the CD ROM drive and specify that one as source. True?

If the driver exists on the media, the cfgmgr command above will install it for you just as if it was a fresh installation.

Another aspect are harddisks. I?ve been exchanging several disks (right now I only can connect one at a time) and installed to see if the server accepts different HD sizes.

lsdev -Cc disk

will list the disks AIX sees - with a short description of how AIX sees them. NonIBM disks are generally typed as: disk osdisk        scsi  Other SCSI Disk Drive

To get a list of disk types and sizes AIX recognizes use:

lsdev -Pc disk

After shutting down the server via several commands like

shutdown -F
shutdown -h

I generally use either:

shutdown -Fh #halt system
or
shutdown -Fr #reboot system

the -F option is similar to saying "now" with other versions of UNIX and Linux.
AIX seems to have some troubles with some drives that worked before.
With the AIX you installed, or with an Apple O/S? Check the list of recognized devices. For an indivudial disk use:

lsattr -EHl hdiskX ## the H argument is optional, for headings

As I don?t know how to format (low-level) a disk I tend to hang them to a Mac and reformat them there

execute the command:
diag

Go to the third general area: Task Selection
In this area there is an option to format or certify SCSI disks.

Just remember that in the heydays of AIX 4.1.X 4G disks were huge! 320Mbyte and 660Mbyte disks were the standard. Hard to believe!!

Well I hope this takes care of most of your short term issues. I am checking friends of friends for the Apple update.

p.s. I'll look up the command to install the German language filesets - officially, rather than just copying.

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 12:08:56 PM »
I found the way how to copy the files :)

But another update: the BOS identifies the Apple Ethernet Card. It states the 10 MBps functionality as "available" but the 100 MBps functionality only as "defined" - so I suppose it?s just a question of how AIX tries to talk to the right interfaces?

J

Please provide the output from command:

# lsdev -Cc adapter

Leografix

• BlackMac.ch
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 07:07:33 AM »
An update to keep You informed...

I didn?t get very far until now so further questions / informations will have to wait a bit. In the meantime I got the book which describes AIX 4.1 / 4.3 a bit into deep. This book and some more researches teached me a bit more about my special machine and it?s AIX.

First of all: the ANS is much more close to a RS/6000 system than to a PowerMac 9500 - this explains why lots of Apple hardware won?t work as expected (and in return: much more IBM hardware from this time will work). For example: the Apple 10/100 card will only work with 10 MBps - there is no way to force it to operate in 100 MBps mode. It has to be a 3com for PowerPC systems or several IBM cards. So for now I will have to look out for such a card (got a compatibility list by now <sigh>). The same is for graphics cards.

Now for the AIX versions: AIX 4.1.4 does not contain any other languages than US English. Only option I had is to install the Swiss German keyboard layout which actually works. AIX 4.1.5 contains all other languages so I installed the Swiss German language surroundings. After I?ve noticed that far more informations are only available in English I decided to reinstall AIX 4.1.5 in English language - I can change that later on if the machine is up and running.

For the diag / low-level format thing: As the ANS does not have a BIOS but an OpenFirmware dialog the command "diag" does not exist (who wonders). I have to boot off the CD to get a terminal window and "diag" does exist in this ANS AIX version - but it refuses to format disks larger than 36 GB. In fact AIX destroys drives larger than 36 GB (which killed a 146 GB drive already, not noticable anymore by my macs <sigh again>).

Right now I?m setting up tha ANS again with a clean English AIX 4.1.5 installation (there are absolutely NO 4.1.5.1 packages just 4.1.5.0).

The book is quite helpfull in some aspects but especially the TCP/IP setup confuses me again. Although I already asked for it I still do not understand how to determine the MAC adress of the one 10MBps adapter (SMC, some sort of DEC copy). What do I have to do where to get this information?

Another thought popped up to my head: as I?m dealing with several other old OSses, too I thought about "what about DHCP"? Some older UNIXes like NeXTstep or others do not understand DHCP - but I want to use my D-Link router to provide just one IP address according to the MAC of that adapter. Can this be done? Does AIX get along with such options / settings?

In between I tried to set up AppleTalk within this AIX. As I suppose nobody in here actually uses AppleTalk on their systems I?m pretty sure nobody can help me in here. Just to let You know what I tried in between: exactly following Apple?s guidelines in installing that stack (but without setting up TCP/IP before) the AppleTalk deamon refused to start so I couldn?t use my Macs to contact the ANS at least with AppleTalk.

I know that my way to handle all this is rather unusual and ineffective but I want to understand every single step I?m doing.

John Peck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 04:49:23 PM »
For the MAC address, or other VPD details of adapters, the "lscfg" command should help:
lscfg -vl ent0

DEVICE            LOCATION          DESCRIPTION                         

ent0              10-60             IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet PCI Adapter
                                     (23100020)                         

Network Address.............2014BC986EFB      <-- the MAC address                     
       Displayable Message.........PCI Ethernet Adapter (23100020)       
       Device Specific.(YL)........P1/E1                                 

For DHCP at that version of AIX I'm not sure, but from 4.3.3 anyway here's some smit menus:
smit usedhcp  # For your AIX box to use DHCP to get it's IP address with tons of options
smit otherserv  # For three menu options relating to running a DHCP server, client and relay agent
                        to stop and start the relevant SRC services.

For more details, the man pages:
man dhcpsd
man dhcpcd
man dhcprd

For graphical configuration of DHCP, read about this one:
man dhcpsconf

Through all of that I see nothing to suggest that AIX can reserve an IP for a specific MAC at
that AIX level at least.

AIX, and the hardware, has always been very picky about the disks that will work with it.

I recently tried to use a 32GB LVD disk, which was almost identical to a supported IBM one,
taken from a PC RAID array unit going cheap on eBay (thought it might be worth a try at home),
and nothing doing there - at one point it would be seen with garbled lscfg data and then later
with a different connection path it wasn't even detected.  Same thing would happen with
my dear old model 250 machine (about the same time as your Apple) and it's limit of only
1 or 2GB particular disks (amazing now when you can get 8GB on a thumbnail SD card say).
As you have discovered, you must stick to the tested recommended hardware list,
or the results will be uncertain to say the least.  Although in theory, it should be possible
to get anything working if you can do some ODM editing, maybe write your own driver
kernel extension, etc...

One more option for MAC address discovery - if you can ping the IP from another machine,
then on that other machine run "arp -a" you should see the MAC address that has been seen.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:52:16 PM by John Peck »

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 08:08:34 PM »
Right now I?m setting up tha ANS again with a clean English AIX 4.1.5 installation (there are absolutely NO 4.1.5.1 packages just 4.1.5.0).

With installation media in the drive try:

installp -d /dev/cd0 -L | grep device.pci.2310

With luck there will be a 4.1.5.0 fileset. Once this is installed - you will have the base filesets installed - and now you can use smitty update_all to update the 4.1.5.1 version.

AIX version 4 supports DHCP. If you want it to be a client just use:

# smitty usedhcp

This will make the changes to the config files in /etc and start the dhcpcd demons.