Please login or register. November 22, 2017, 04:27:56 PM

Author Topic: P570 hardware utilisation rate  (Read 25226 times)

arl

P570 hardware utilisation rate
« on: September 11, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »
Hi All,

I am wondering, wether there is some nice method/ tool, by which we can see total hardware utilisation of our P570 which is running multiple lpars, and 2 vio servers.

We suspect there might be some IO bottleneck? But we can not yet pinpoint the exact problem.

I do know of topas and the C option, but that is mainly cpu/ memory, and we want to see IO figures.

We seem to have quite a lot more HACMP problems due to this, we used to run on P590 hardware.

Any tips, nice tools?

PS can this post be moved to Power6? My mistake
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:09:17 PM by arl »

Michael

• Administrator
Re: P570 hardware utilisation rate
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 01:08:55 PM »
Virtual partitions, or dedicated partitions (i.e. each partition has it's own storage card). I assume you are using a SAN Storage system. IBM, EMC, HP, ???

What reports do you get from the SAN Storage monitors? Anything else you have tried already?

arl

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:43:32 AM »
Hi,

we use virtual partiotions, and IBM storage.

I will check with storage guys, wether we have statistical information from them.

but can we not check on HW level?

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 10:13:13 PM »
Storage is not my strongest area - wish list for future. But I know how to get ahold of some very smart colleagues. I'll ask them.

What I am looking for is the commands to run in vios partition to view general statistics. I am assuming topas on the vios partition is not accurate enough. topas will show general statistics for each disk.If this is close, install nmon on your vios partitions and let it collect data for you.

I expect IBM storage also has it's own applications for measuring throughput. the vios partition does not do the i/o, but it does see it happening. If you are familiar with these tools, try them from the vios partitions.

p.s. I am curious as well - keep us posted.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 10:15:34 PM by Michael »

arl

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:32:21 AM »
Hi All,

I will keep you guys informed.
Thanks for checking with a collegae!, looking forward to a reply...

kimyo

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 03:30:15 PM »
Hi

Depending on what IBM storage you are running, you just need to run iostat and see what the load is on each controller/path from the VIOS aix shell. I presume your disks are virtualized to each LPAR from the VIOS. Does each disk/LUN have redundant paths through each VIOS? I am making some presumptions here in that this config has been running for awhile and is not a new setup, thus you would be running either RDAC, MPIO or SDD on your VIOS. I also presume that there are no hardware errors, such as failed HBA's, paths, controllers, SAN switches, degraded storage performance due to storage cache being disabled?

regards

arl

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 04:13:47 PM »
Hi,

we indeed have redundant paths to the disks. And we use sdd driver.
in order to use iostat we need to logon as padmin, and then do oem_setup_env.
the background, is that we had this all running on an p590 without vio, and we moved to p570 with vio.
as far as we can see, there are NO hardware failures, I will check the storage cache part.

this is a good tip, I will start looking at this monday!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:15:44 PM by arl »

kimyo

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 06:25:43 PM »
Hey,
The other question is how many V-SCSI connections do you have to each LPAR from the VIOS for your disks. There is some miss-perception that more V-SCSI connections = more performance. This is not true as the more virtual devices your create, the greater the overhead on the Hyperviser! This will also be true with regards to DS8000 paths to many paths = too much overhead. So you should also make sure that having now moved to 2 VIOS with redundant paths between the VIOS to each HA LPAR, that each VIOS has it's disks balanced correctly across the storage controllers as well as the mapping to the HA LPARs is correct for the multiple/redundant paths. I presume you have checked that the VIOS are not running out of CPU or MEM?
This a complex setup so there are plenty of places to look. I hope you get sorted out.

regards