Date: 27-11-20  Time: 23:24 PM

Author Topic: What your goals are  (Read 1012 times)

tmcgivern

What your goals are
« on: June 08, 2020, 03:44:04 PM »
Michael,
  First off, thank you for the effort and what you've accomplished with rootvg and aixtools.

I'm having a problem with your gnupg package, as it installs, but fails to run, this will lead to using perzl's distribution, and leads me into RPM hell.

Reading your webpage, I found this paragraph under history:

AIXTOOLS began simply - porting Apache/ASF httpd and PHP tools needed to host the ROOTVG.net portal. Now I am trying to provide an alternate repository for packages not in the original AIX ToolBox and/or from other sources such as Perzl's RPM repository.

My question being around what you're goal is NOW...
you say you're NOT looking to provide alternative packaging for packages found on Perzl's repository.

gnupg is found on perzl, so do I skip asking for support with your installp version here?
While I know this is a hobby for you, I'm disappointed, if I'm reading this properly.  I really prefer installp than dealing with RPMs

Thanks,
Tom

Michael

• Administrator
Re: What your goals are
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 04:09:46 PM »
I'll look into this asap - I am on vacation, so it may be a few days, rather than right away.
There is a chance the 'dependency' gnupg still has - something that once was unavoidable - is gettext and libiconv - but, a) I am a bit smarter and b) the tests for libiconv have become less strict, so - clearly time to redo/review gnupg.
Michael

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 04:23:16 PM »
p.s. I just installed the existing package aixtools.gnupg - and ran gpg --gen-key, that seems to work.
What is not working - so I can test - and I'll repackage at the latest 1.4 level (1.4.23).
Michael

tmcgivern

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 11:59:09 AM »
I get this result:
# gpg --help
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program gpg because of the following errors:
        0509-150   Dependent module /opt/lib/libintl.a(libintl.so.8) could not be loaded.
        0509-022 Cannot load module /opt/lib/libintl.a(libintl.so.8).
        0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.
#
# oslevel -s
7200-04-01-1939

# ls /opt/lib
charset.alias   libcharset.a    libiconv.a      libpython3.8.a  pkgconfig       python3.8

further information:
# type gpg
gpg is /opt/bin/gpg
# lslpp -h aixtools.gnupg.*
  Fileset         Level     Action       Status       Date         Time
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Path: /usr/lib/objrepos
  aixtools.gnupg.man
                 1.4.18.0   COMMIT       COMPLETE     06/04/20     11:37:21

aixtools.gnupg.rte

aixtools.gnupg.share

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:33:28 PM by tmcgivern »

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 05:48:58 PM »
Yes. My old issues with packaging - and it seems I have it already installed on my other server.
This comes with: http://download.aixtools.net/tools/gnu/aixtools.gnu.gettext.0.19.8.1.I - which also depends on http://download.aixtools.net/tools/gnu/aixtools.gnu.libiconv.1.15.0.1.I
I say "old" because when I last packaged gnupg there were many tricks I did not know - e.g., how to let a package know it has dependencies such as these.

tmcgivern

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 05:52:44 PM »
Happy you found the problem, hopefully not taking up too much of your vacation.
So.. next steps?
do you plan to repackage?
Or do I need to download those other packages, and install them?

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 06:26:42 PM »
a) I would suggest you download the other packages - for now
b) I'll repackage - but that will be roughly two weeks.

tmcgivern

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 06:29:47 PM »
Thank you sir! 

But, back to my original question
in the "history" page you seem to imply that you are only repackaging what is NOT on perzl or bull.   Am I reading that wrong? 
can you please clarify which packages you plan to maintain here?

Thanks.  (now go enjoy the rest of your vacation! :) )

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 07:14:29 PM »
Maybe I wrote it wrong. I'll check.
AIXTOOLS began simply - porting Apache/ASF httpd and PHP tools needed to host the ROOTVG.net portal. Now I am trying to provide an alternate repository for packages not in the original AIX ToolBox and/or from other sources such as Perzl's RPM repository.
Note: My goal is not to completely replace the [IBM AIX Toolbox -- RPM Repository].
My goal is to provide what people actually use - and is doable with the IBM xlc compiler I have.
The "not" in that sentence may have been true 6 or 7 years ago - as I packaged some things I could not find anywhere - however, as it stands - that word, by itself - is misleading.
The later issue is that I ran into problems - where the RPM .spec file would overwrite files also managed by an installp package. Updating the installp package broke the RPM; the RPM could not be removed; or an update of an RPM broke other things. This is why I put my libraries in /opt/lib rather than /usr/lib. There are exceptions - due to dlopen() issues - but then I save the original file so that if/when you remove the AIXTOOLS package - the original IBM AIX file is restored. (Lessons learned!)
I use IBM XLC, not GCC. This means there are packages I "cannot" package. GCC has a few special features that make packaging some things impossible. Likely, xlc is behind (years behind). Not because I do not like GCC, but if I use GCC then I feel I must also maintain the GNU rte (run-time-environment) - in particular the GNU libc that GCC depends on.
So, to close - I am not trying to be a copy of Perzl, BULL, or AIX Toolbox. I do try to minimize dependencies (e.g., iirc, my git package for AIX has no additional dependencies).
Anyway, I'll go back and review how I wrote that in my wiki. (i.e., been there - removing the word not)

Thanks for the feedback!Michael