Please login or register. August 18, 2019, 10:07:05 PM

Author Topic: Paramiko for Python3  (Read 383 times)

Michael

• Administrator
Re: Paramiko for Python3
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 11:24:53 AM »
Well, I had set, as mentioned before - version 1601 as the lowest level acceptable.

I'll lower the value and update the thread when it is ready.

p.s. The current latest (and recommended) level of openssl is openssl.base.1.0.2.1801. Read https://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg3T1027135 for more info on how to get and install. Note: the release numbers in the article are not the latest!

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 12:06:39 PM »
Packaging updated to be less strict about openssl.base requirement. See wiki: http://www.aixtools.net/index.php/python3-3.7 for updated MD% checksum and package link.

I still recommend getting openssl updated (version 1.0.2.1601 was available since April, the latest - openssl.base.1.0.2.1801 is available since early this month)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 03:30:01 AM by Michael »

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »
Bother, %%^!, etc.

I re-built python using --enable-shared - which does not package perfectly. I am rebuilding, and I shall renumber the version to 3.7.4.1 to "cleanup" to ensure that any old packaging is replaced by the new packaging.

Used the wrong command from history (testing Python 3.9 builds). My apologies.

Duckabush

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 06:38:24 PM »
Looking at that IBM link, I don't think they would be too keen to update openssl and openssh. Too many extremely important keys are setup already and if something would go wrong. I don't believe the current admin would be willing to update it.

I will go through the process on another machine and see if I can get it done and feel comfortable. With the backup there shouldn't be much of an issue.

Michael

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 11:41:10 AM »
OpenSSL updates, in my experience, go nearly effortlessly. I have a BigFix sandbox, and I just apply the fixlet once it comes in, and my systems get updated. And I leave the fixlet "open" so that whenever I re/install a VM openssl is updated magically.

OpenSSH can be an issue, especially if you change release levels as the defaults, or even names (of options or option settings) change from release level to release level - which is why, I suspect, AIX was at release 6.0 of openssh for forever.

In case you had not noticed, I also package OpenSSH  - and I do so in a way that the AIX one is still installed, just not the default. And, should you decide to uninstall mine, it restores the AIX one as default. FYI: I also have the openssh-8.0 packaged (although I should check for a later 8.X version) - as long as you are testing.

In a different area - should actually start a new thread, so I shall, but mention it here - I am researching what is needed to have AIX wheels for Python modules. I have already found that it can work - there are just some details that need to be addressed to make it much better.