Please login or register. December 11, 2019, 11:06:01 PM

Author Topic: lpar cpu usage  (Read 7302 times)

jai

lpar cpu usage
« on: August 10, 2010, 05:23:13 PM »
hi all

iam searching for job in AIX

yesterday i had an final telephonic interview with UK client he asked me some questions like

1.  lpar server is showing 400% cpu usage ,  what is the reason ?

2.  heartbeat was failed in hacmp for few seconds , how to find that failed ka packet ?

3.  lpar profile has min= 0.1 ,des=0.1 and max=0,1 cpu , but it shows 2 cpu , what is the reason ?

can any one answer me these question.....

thanks in advance..

u can even mail me at jaiganesh4777@gmail.com

regards

jai

Michael

• Administrator
Re: lpar cpu usage
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:52:58 PM »
If you are looking for employment as an AIX administrator in a modern POWER environment you should at least be able to answer questions 1 and 3 without any doubts.

The answer to #1 is that it is a micropartition and it is using 4x it allocated, better known as entitled, capacity.
The answer to question #3 is 1 physical processor has two logical CPU if SMT is enabled.

The answer to question #2 requires some knowledge of PowerHA/HACMP. If a heartbeat failed for a few seconds it is probably an adapter failure and the cluster topology monitoring will generate an event to swap adapters. The easiest starting point is hacmp.out and/or cluster.log

My suggestion is that you attend some education classes. Many IBM classes are offered online. You could also try renting a WPAR from http://wpar4you.com - no idea what the cost is. It is a new program being started by an old friend of mine. If you use it, and it helps you - let me, better us, know about your experiences.

Michael

jai

Re: lpar cpu usage
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:35:18 AM »
Thanks for ur ideas..

question #2 i find the ka packet in topsvcs_clustername file....

regards
jai

If you are looking for employment as an AIX administrator in a modern POWER environment you should at least be able to answer questions 1 and 3 without any doubts.

The answer to #1 is that it is a micropartition and it is using 4x it allocated, better known as entitled, capacity.
The answer to question #3 is 1 physical processor has two logical CPU if SMT is enabled.

The answer to question #2 requires some knowledge of PowerHA/HACMP. If a heartbeat failed for a few seconds it is probably an adapter failure and the cluster topology monitoring will generate an event to swap adapters. The easiest starting point is hacmp.out and/or cluster.log

My suggestion is that you attend some education classes. Many IBM classes are offered online. You could also try renting a WPAR from http://wpar4you.com - no idea what the cost is. It is a new program being started by an old friend of mine. If you use it, and it helps you - let me, better us, know about your experiences.

Michael